Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens
The new Canon 100-400 super zoom has finally replaced the original 100-400 with some major upgrades to image quality, image stabilization and handling and operation.
It is a highly portable professional Full Frame super telephoto zoom Lens and adopts 1 fluorite lens element and 1 Super UD lens element to provide excellent image quality.
This lens employs Canon’s new Air Sphere Coating (ASC) for the first time to reduce ghosting and flare.
The IS unit offers shake compensation up to 4-stop*2 shutter speed and equipped with IS Mode 3 specially designed for sport photographers.
This lens is built for high performance with 0.98m minimum focus distance, 0.31x magnification, 9-blade circular aperture and ring-type USM. It uses rotational zoom operation with zoom touch adjustment ring for improved operability and a removable tripod mount foot for convenience handheld shooting. Fluorine coating and dust and water resistance*3 design are included to enable shooting in harsh conditions.
The 100-400mm lens has been the sports / surf / motor racing / bird / nature photographers choice for a long time. The lens which at f5.6 at 400mm still provides an exceptional telephoto range for most lighting conditions. Canons telephoto zoom range is split into a few sub ranges, one of which is the Canon High Powered Telephoto Zoom Range. Here is a short run down of that range for your comparison.
It is worth noting that Canon has announced this Version II of the 100-400mm to replace the original 100-400. We will have the first 100-400mm listed on our site if it is still available.
- High Mobility Professional Full Frame Image Stabilized Super Telephoto Zoom Lens
- Newly developed optical design with 21 lens elements in 16 groups. Use of 1 fluorite lens element and 1 Super UD lens element to provide excellent correction of chromatic aberration across the entire zoom range, ensuring high levels of image resolution and contrast.
- Incorporation of Canon’s new Air Sphere Coating (ASC) for the first time to reduce ghosting and flare that cannot be prevented with conventional vapor-deposited multi-layer coatings
- Floating mechanism for high-level image quality throughout the entire range of focus distance
- Class leading 0.98m minimum focus distance with 0.31x magnification
- Optical Image stabilizer unit offers shake compensation up to 4-stop shutter speed*2 and equipped with IS Mode 3 specially designed for sport photographers
- Adoption of rotational zoom operation with zoom touch adjustment ring for improved operability base on feedback from professional photographers
- Featuring an integrated tripod mount ring for smooth rotation and a removable tripod mount foot for convenient handheld shooting
- 9-blade circular aperture produces beautiful out-of-focus images which makes it a great choice for dramatic portaits
- Rear focusing design, ring USM, high-speed CPU and a high-speed control engine for fast and quiet auto focusing
- Fluorine coating on foremost and rearmost lens surfaces makes cleaning easier
- Enhanced shock-resistance and durability that satisfy the strict demand of professional users
- Dust and water resistance design*3 to enable shooting in harsh conditions
- Perfect focal length for wildlife and sports photographers especially when coupled with an APS-C crop sensor Canon DSLR with a 35mm equivalent focal length of 160mm – 640mm
- New Lens Hood ET-83D features an operation window for easy adjusting of Circular Polarizing Filter with the hood mounted.
*1 As of 11th Nov 2014, among 135-format interchangeable telephoto zoom lens with focal length up to 400mm
*2 CIPA Standard, Focal Length: 400mm, EOS-1D X is used
*3 With EOS-1D Series and EOS-1V body, however it is not recommended for use under rain
This Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens comes with a full 2 year warranty in Australia. Pop into our Gold Coast camera store or please place your order online. #CamerasDirect, happily helping you take a better #photo and being at your service. Thank you.#Canon #canon100400mm #CanonLSeriesLens
|Name||Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens|
|Manufacturer Part Number||9524B002|
|Lens Type||Telephoto Zoom|
|Lens Mount||Canon EF|
|Lens Maximum Aperture||f/4.5 - 5.6|
|Lens Starting Focal Length||100 mm|
|Lens Ending Focal Length||400 mm|
|Lens Minimum Focussing Distance||98 cm|
|Built-in Autofocus Motor||Yes|
|Narrowest Angle of View||6 degrees|
|Widest Angle of View||24 degrees|
|Lens Compatibility||Crop Sensor|
|Includes Lens Hood||Yes|
|Includes Lens Case||Yes|
|Includes Tripod Collar||Yes|
|Product Weight||1.59 kg|
|External Length||193 mm|
|Warranty Period||2 Years|
- Love the weather proofing Review by Karl
Ease of Use Price Value Quality
Im a surf photography or at least I would like to think so. The version II not being a push pull is a major winner for me.
(Posted on 27/04/2015)
- 100-400mm Review by David(staff)
Ease of Use Price Value Quality
Being a Nikon photographer I am really jealous of this new Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens after trying it out. I might just have to buy a Canon body just to use it. Its fast in auto focus and unlike the previous model it has a rotary zoom not push pull. The image quality is excellent and it only weighs 1.59 so hand holding no problems plus IS (image stabilization). The answer for serious nature, wildlife and sports photographers.
(Posted on 23/04/2015)
- Maybe the best tele zoom ever! Review by Denis All my reviews (1)
Ease of Use Price Value Quality
At 400mm this lens is better than Canons own 400mm L f5.6 prime! Superb IS! I waited for this updated lens for years. I never bought the 1st version. The wait was totally worth it.
(Posted on 6/03/2015)
- Quality comes at a price! Review by Cory (Staff)
Quality Ease of Use Price Value
A great lens if you can afford it. The 100-400mm is the choice of those who shoot subjects at long distances. Whether it be sport or wildlife this lens will take you right up close to your subject.
The downside of course is the price. Those looking for something at a similar focal length at a cheaper price should consider the Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm lenses.
(Posted on 13/07/2015)
Questions on Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens
No questions asked yet